Treasuer Tim Pallas launches Committee for Greater Frankston
Victorian Treasurer hands C4GF the keys
On 10 February 2017, thirty members of the C4GF gathered at a sumptuous lunch at Frankston’s RSL to hear the Victorian State Government Treasurer, Tim Pallas, give the keynote address at the launch the Committee for Greater Frankston. Whilst urging the C4GF to be focused and persistent, the Treasurer provided some key tips for successful advocacy to the State Government on major issues. Here’s what he said:
- ‘These Committees have one thing in common — they irritate government enormously. More strength to you if you do that.
- When I’m asked: “How can we best bring forward our plans and proposals to you?”, I say: “It’s all about jobs for us. I don’t mind you talking about improving amenity and involving the community — that’s great. But it’s hard to have a positive disposition about your community when you’re struggling to find work. Job creation is central to everything my Government does.”
- In the last 12 months, Victoria has put on more jobs than all the other States of Australia combined. In two years we’ve created more than 200,000 jobs. I am in awe of what the community is doing. It’s businesses that are delivering this. Governments can be enablers. This Committee should be an enabler.
- All the training and employment opportunity in the world won’t really mean anything if you can’t back them up by getting people to work. Without effective transport systems, the economy doesn’t work. So reliable roads and public transport are also key.
- A community is only strong if it has strong advocates. If the C4GF can help fill that need, I’m absolutely sure it will deliver an outstanding result for your community.’